Monday, October 5, 2009

ghost stories

Yesterday I was sitting in my room doing my homework and my roomate came in laughing hysterically. She said that something wierd had happened in the room that she was just in upstairs the night before. She started telling me that her friend told her a story of how when she was in the room by herself she heard knocking coming from the other side of the wall but oddly enough there was no other room on the other side of the wall. Then she told another story of how the day before that, she herself was in the bathroom alone and she could hear noises and footsteps coming from the stall next to her and then water dripping. She said that she knows of all the ghosts in other building in Cortland but she had never heard of anything about our building.
Because I'm taking this CPN class and have been more open to debunking myths and legends along with being skeptic, her story made me think more in depth if she actually believed it and if something like this could actually happen. My roomate got into detail of all the ghost stories in Cortland and all of them seemed like they were made up and just got passed on from one year to another because they were interesting. If I didn't read all of the stories that have debunked myths and made them seem like it was impossible for it to ever happen, I would have probably believed her story and been amazed, just like everyone else that she'll tell these stories too.

5 comments:

  1. That would scare me so much. It funny you post this because I believe that cortland is haunted too. I lived in Randall hall last year and some funky stuff happened. For example the kids next to us their music and TV's would turn on and off randomly. I mean thats not that scary but the worst was in the bathroom. Late at night when no one was around if I had to go in there I would always here footsteps and whispering it would scare me so much. If there were ghosts who could they be like old students from years past just hanging in the bathroom seems funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very true! if theres one thing that this class has taught me its to be more skeptical. i dont believe certain things unless i whitness it for myself. it has definately helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in ghost but I also think that most of cortlands dorms are old or just waering down so they are going to make weird noises. I would love the idea of a good ghost story but i agree that most of the ones i hear about on cortland campus are totally made up. Even though out class has made use to be skeptics a part of me wants to believe this is all real its more fun to believe even if its made up but a good ghost story is always fun to pass along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you ever gone to the ghost hunter thing on campus that we have ever year in oct. The experts take us on a ghost hunt and they use a radio thing that connects with them and the ghost can talk to us and we can talk to them. Its crazy some of the things that they say some of the things they say isnt just something anyone can say. Some told us where they died and what building and how they died. If you went on the hunt i bet you would believe in ghost then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think that I would also be very skeptical about all the ghost stories on campus. But i think that it is more fun to believe in all the stories than to just dismiss them all together. I lived in one of the supposed haunted buildings last year and I never had any encounters with any supernatural activity, so i dont believe in any of the ghost stories on campus. I think people exaggerate meaningless noises and associate them with ghost stories to make it more exciting.

    ReplyDelete