Monday, September 21, 2009

Car Accident

Two years ago I was in a bad car accident that really affected my senior year of highschool. It started out on a nice Friday summer day and I had just finished working as a counselor at a summercamp. It was my last day of camp and I had also taken off my other two jobs so that I could have a couple of weeks to hang out with friends and relax before school started. A couple of days before this Friday I am reffering to, my best friends boyfriend had come home from the army and I had been hanging out with him and all his friends. One of his friends and I really got along and I always saw him when I would be out with my friend and her boyfriend. So this particular night I decided to hang out with them again. I made plans to go out to eat with my best friend, her boyfriend(Paul), and his friends. I didn't drive at the time so my friends boyfriend picked me up and we met up with his friend at work. My friends then suggested that I should drive in the car with Paul's friend so then I could sit in the front seat. I didn't argue and just went in the car like was suggested. I didn't really know this kid but I wasn't at all worried and it just felt like any other Friday night. Before I knew it, I woke up unconcious with my wrists dangling by skin and me not knowing where I was. I was immediately rushed to the hospital where my parents and friends had met me. I soon found out that both my wrists were broken. I thought it was the worst thing that could happen because now I wasn't going to have the rest of my summer to enjoy but that wasn't nearly as bad as not being able to use both of your hands for anything. I then had to miss 2 months of my senior year and get surgery on both my wrists. This was one of the worst experiences I've ever had and it has definetaly taught me to be more safe while in a car

6 comments:

  1. Thats terrible, Senior year is such a important year everyone looks forward to it. its a shame that happened to you. I hope your wrist are ok now. Your lucky thats all that happened it could of turned out worst then it did. Even thought thats a crappy wat to end the summer.
    a friend of mine passed away the last day of junior year, and friends were writing on her myspace saying we're finally seniors!we then ended up finding out she passed away, it was a shock to everyone, she was very sick and was fighting hard for her life. Its sad that she wasnt able to experience senior year. Wish she could of been there :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'm really sorry to hear that. It must have been awful missing some of your senior year, since it was the last year with all of your friends. I had a similar experience. I played 3 sports all throught highschool, soccer being my favorite. In a scrimmage before playoffs I tore my ACL, ( I tore my other one freshman year), and I missed the rest of soccer and all of basketball season. It was awful not being able to do what I loved for one last time. It definately was not as serious as your situation, but I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This is so sad. I'm so sorry! At least it wasn't worse. You're lucky that you didn't get hurt a lot worse. Finding out one of my friends was in a car accident was the worst feeling ever, and I couldn't imagine actually being in one like that! The worst that's happened to me was going into a ditch in winter, and that was enough to scar me. I'm glad that everything was able to heal properly though. :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Gabrielle, that sounds like quiet the crash. Hopefully the accident wasn't totally the new guys fault or else if I was you I wouldn't be able to get in the car with another person I didn't really know. I have to say I have had my fair share of crashes, one decent one but still non of them that bad, luckily. My first crash was in high school. I only had my car for a few weeks of course. I was bringing my friend home so I could get to work on time. Of course running a little late, I was speeding. Next I tried to take a right hand turn onto another road (aka shortcut) but I was going way to fast. I ended up going nose first into a tree at about 50mph. For some reason no air bags went off but luckily both my friend and I braced ourselves in time. Needless to say we were both fine except for see belt marks. Also on a good note I didn't loose a friend. That was the worst of my crashes. After that I had a total of three side mirrors taken off, two of them weren't even my fault. Next was a snowmobile accident. I caught small tree stump in the ground and it through me into a tree. Finally my most recent one was a motorcycle accident. Some how I came out of it will only a few scrapes but the bike wasn't so lucky. So I think I have had my fair share of bad luck and it better be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this does not sound good at all. I am glad to hear it was not any worse. I have never been in any kind of serious accidents and I hope this kind of thing never happens to you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been so scary. I wouldnt want to know what it felt like not to know what happened to you. What happened to the boy driving? Car accidents can be so scary. When i was drving home from my boyfriends house and hit black ice and fell got my car stuck in the snow bank. It was not as nearly as bad as your accident but i was so scared. I had to walk a mile to find a house to call from in the cold snow. I was scared and my heart was pounding, i can only imagine how you must have felt when u woke up.

    ReplyDelete