Saturday, September 12, 2009

Internet

I was getting ready to write this blog but I realized that picking a topic isn't as easy as it sounds when its your choice to write about anything. So I started stalling and doing everything else on the computer besides writing this blog and it occured to me how dependent I am of the internet and my computer. The other day my computer had a virus so I couldnt use it and I didn't know what to do with myself. Everytime I come home or back to my dorm, I go on facebook or other websites and can spend hours looking at everything possible. Don't get me wrong , the internet is great and I dont know where we would be without it but do we really need to be on it as much as our generation is.
I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago that talked about the dangers of being on facebook. Not the dangers as in talking to creeps that could find you and do something to you but dangers as in being isolated in a virtual world. The article made a point that instead of hanging out with someone or calling them over the phone, we talk to them via facebook or aim because you can avoid confrontation. Even though its easier to talk over the internet, it probably doesn't help anyones social skills. Over the computer you can hide behind your screen and be anyone that you want to be because your not actually interacting with anyone face to face.


4 comments:

  1. I definitley agree that the internet does not help with social skills. I feel that texting is kind of like that too because I will text someone instead of talking just to avoid talking sometimes. I think it is easier to text or talk online instead of verbally because I am feeling antisocial. Since we are on the subject of being online and different sites like Facebook etc. someone I know she has gotten onto dating sites and facebook and recently she just got a letter from this guy in prison that knew her address (and by the way she just moved and he still knew her address) and wants to get with her. So anyways the only way really that this person could of gotten info about her we think is online through her past use of various sites. so isn't that kind of freaky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you on this one. I am so dependent on my computer, to pass the time I just creep on facebook and talk on aim. I am the type of person who will stay stuff on facebook and aim that I wouldn't ever say to someone in person. It's more comfortable and easy, but I can see to where it could be harmful. Good topic, I'm glad to see I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on this subject. It is so convenient to slip into the facebook cult and realize that after a half hour your school work is not finished and nothing is accomplished. It is kind of a shame how much time I actually spend on my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The computer is my main distraction when it comes to school work. But there is irony in that the computer is the only place where i do my school work. When you think about all the options a computer has and all the websites we can go to its crazy and unlimited so no wonder we get lost in the internet. School work never gets done when your on facebook it sucks!

    ReplyDelete